Research Perspectives - Vol. 5, Issue 2
Welcome back to Research Perspectives! Our second issue for 2017 has been slightly redesigned. We hope you like the new look. This edition begins with a Q&A with Adeline Tan and me, answering market-related questions with specific applicability to investing in Asia. Next, we turn to a piece that gets back to the basics of hedge funds and makes a case for investing in them according to the Mercer hedge fund philosophy. We then revisit the limitations of mean-variance optimization and the appropriateness of describing a portfolio as “optimal.” Our fourth piece, “The Long and Winding Road,” summarizes the findings of our analysis of portfolio turnover among long-only equity strategies of different types, and opines on the underlying trends. Finally, this issue of Research Perspectives closes with an article by Jillian Reid that furthers the dialogue on water-crises awareness (scarcity and flooding) and the related investment risks and opportunities.
TOPICS COVERED INCLUDE
- Investing in Asia: Ample Opportunity for Those Who Look （アジアにおける投資：豊富な投資機会）
- The Case for Traditional Hedge Funds （伝統的なヘッジファンドの活用に向けて）
- We need to be better Than ‘Optimal’ （’最適’よりもより良いために必要なこと）
- The Long and Winding Road （長く曲がりくねった道）
- Connecting the Fuel Tank and the Water Tank （燃料と水を結ぶもの）